Term 4 Animals and Habitats
This term we are learning about animals and their habitats.
Words/concepts we are learning include:
Habitat – the natural home of an animal or plant. A good habitat needs food, water, space and shelter,
Camouflage – when animals use their colour or shape to hide
Adaptation – part of an animal’s body that make it survive in it’s habitat
Mammal – animals that are warm blooded, give birth to babies, have a backbone, have hair or fur, have lungs, live on land or water
Carnivores – animals that eat mainly meat
Herbivores – animals that eat mainly plants, leaves, fruit, vegetables
Omnivores – animals that eat both meat and plants
Ways to help at home:
- Talk with your child about what they are learning in class
- Use your first language and then English when comfortable.
- Say more – extend their vocabulary
- Tell the detail – Tell with detail
- Find books from the library about the topic.